Jerez Flamenco Festival
Flamenco, history, nature - small international group - west Andalusia
One of the most important flamenco festivals takes place in Jerez de la Frontera, a city renowned for its wine, its horses, and also its successive generations of cantaores, guitarists and bailaores. They invade the stages of Jerez to bring us traditional flamenco mixed with a good selection of experimental works.
The immediate surroundings of the city are no less outstanding: the tierras albarizas where the sherry grapes are grown, the Guadalquivir estuary, the Bay of Cadiz and the Costa de la Luz. The beaches, cliffs, dunes and salt-marshes not only shelter much nature and bird-life but also form a background to some real architectural and archaeological jewels...
IMPORTANT: we must receive bookings for this programme by 31 October 2021.
ONE WEEK Activities: the order of activities varies with the times of the Flamenco performances.
A minimum of 8 Flamenco performances, and...
- exploration of Jerez de la Frontera: the Centro Andaluz de Flamenco, cathedral, Almohad alcázar, gothic cloister of Santo Domingo, ...
- "Como bailan los caballos andaluces": the fantastic spectacle of the dancing horses of the Escuela Andaluz de Arte Ecuestre, as well as its interesting museums
- visit to two places of Phoenician origin: the archaeological site of Doña Blanca, a former port now well inland, and the luminous city of Cádiz, between the ocean and the bay which we cross by boat
- excursion to El Puerto de Santa María, with the museum of the poet and painter Rafael Alberti, and the castle, built on the site of a mosque, and now belonging to Bodegas Caballero, producers of punch and sherry (tasting included)
- 2 days with nature rambles of about 2h30-3H, in the salt-marshes and pinewoods of the coastal Natural Parks of Doñana, Barbate and the Bahía de Cádiz: flamingoes, waders and "violinist" crabs.
FULL BOARD EXCEPT 4 MEALS in hotel (rooms for 2 with private bathrooms) in a quiet street of the historical centre of Jerez. Delicious local gastronomy and imaginative tapas, with the accent on Atlantic sea-food and the pata negra pigs of the forests of western Andalusia. Group 8 maximum.
2022 25 February-4 March.
PRICE 1045 euros per person; obligatory single room supplement 155 euros.
RENDEZVOUS Málaga, in the afternoon - choose a flight arriving before 15.30.
DISPERSAL Málaga, at midday - choose a flight departing after 15.30.
Arrival at Jerez airport or station (trains from Madrid and Seville) is also possible.
Location of this programme:
Bienal Flamenco Seville / Xmas Costa de la Luz / New Year Natural Parks Cádiz
Ciudad Rodrigo Theatre Festival / Almagro Theatre Festival / walking: Mar y Sierra: West Andalusia
Discovery: Almagro-La Mancha / Berlanga-Soria / Rioja / Candás-Costa Verde / Liérganes-Santander
Two centre discovery: Ciudad Rodrigo & Arribes del Duero / Ruta del Oro / Land of lakes and storks
Segura-Júcar-Mundo / Campiña Cordobesa / Lozoya-Guadarrama-Duratón
Almería-Tabernas-Cabo Gata / Huelva, land of mariners / Extremadura: Trujillo / Zafra
other walking in: Andalusia / central Spain / northern Spain / Soria / nature rambles / historical journeys
for families or friends / Holiday index+calendar / Introduction in English / How to book / e-mail us