Christmas on the Costa de la Luz
Christmas and New Year weeks based in our favourite cities
All the local celebrations
Delicious local gastronomy and imaginative tapas
Special Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve dinner and evening
Guided walks, history, nature, music, seasonal celebrations and traditions - small international group
A festive week with popular Christmas music featuring artisanal musical instruments. We visit the luminous historical cities and fascinating archaeological sites of the Costa de la Luz... and walk amid the cork-oak forest, on the cliff-tops, and in the salt-marshes of the Atlantic coast.
9 DAYS (8 NIGHTS)
Activities (the order may vary with the calendar of Christmas events):
4 DAYS WITH SHORT WALKS (2-4 h, max +350m) in the 5 marvellous natural parks of the Costa de la Luz in Cádiz province:
* P.N. Bahía de Cádiz: the Salina de la Tapa, with a prolific bird-life: flamingoes, lesser egrets, stilts, spoonbills, avocets...
* P.N. Doñana: the fossil dunes with umbrella pines and the salt-marshes with their quantities of little "violinist" crabs
* P.N. Estrecho & P.N. Breña de Barbate: the cliffs of Barbate and the beach and colossal dune of Bolonia; magnificent views with the Moroccan Rif when clear
* P.N. Alcornocales: lakes, laurisilva and cork-oak forest.
VISITS to monuments, archaeological sites, museums, a sherry bodega...
* Jerez: mosque, almunia and baths of the Almohad palace; cathedral; cloister of Santo Domingo; mudéjar-gothic churches; Christmas crib museum
* Cádiz: the eternal city on its peninsula between the ocean and the bay
* Puerto de Santa María: museum of the famous poet and artist Rafael Alberti (1902-99)
* archaeology: Phoenician port de Doña Blanca; Roman castle, street and cloacas of Medina Sidonia; Baelo Claudia: Roman town and fish factory.
CHRISTMAS EVENTS Christmas market, Christmas Eve dinner and:
* Zambombas jerezanas: at Jerez, in December, the zambombas take over the squares, theatres and other unlikely settings. The name comes from the zambomba or friction drum whose gruff sound provides the rhythm for the Andalusian villancicos (songs which compare the 'Holy Family' with the families of popular areas and their life at the approach to Christmas).
* Belenes: many Christmas cribs are real works of art, like those of the Museo del Belén, representing regional landscapes, Spanish or foreign cities, farmers, shepherds, craftsmen and notables. The belenistas often incorporate a humorous note, as well as lighting and 3D effects. Doors, windows and alleys reveal other minute scenes in the background.
FULL BOARD EXCEPT 3 MEALS in hotels (rooms for 2 with private bathrooms): 5 nights in a quiet street of the historical centre of Jerez, and 3 at Medina Sidonia in a converted C18 noble house. Delicious meals and tapas evenings, with the best of the produce of western Andalusia: fish & sea-food, Iberian black pig meat, game, original salads, grilled vegetables, sherry wines and Christmas sweetmeats.
PRICE 1135 euros per person; obligatory single room supplement 215 euros.
2021 17-25 December (Friday-Saturday).
2022 17-25 December (Saturday-Sunday).
RENDEZVOUS Málaga, in the afternoon choose a flight arriving before 14.30.
DISPERSAL Málaga, in the morning choose a flight departing after 14.00.
Please contact us if you wish to arrive/depart by bus or train.
Location of this programme:
SATURDAY: Transfer to Jerez (5 nights).
SUNDAY: Phoenician port of Doña Blanca, house of Rafael Alberti, salt-pans of La Tapa.
MONDAY: Doñana and Bay of Cádiz Natural Parks: pinewoods, salt-marshes, birds and crabs.
TUESDAY: Jerez: the Alcázar, cathedral, cloister of Santo Domingo, Christmas crib museum...
WEDNESDAY: Cádiz, the elegant city of "the little silver cup", arriving by the boat service.
THURSDAY: A sherry bodega at Jerez. Arrival at Medina Sidonia (3 nights) and visit to its Roman remains.
FRIDAY: Sea cliffs at Barbate and immense dune and Roman fishing port of Baelo Claudia.
SATURDAY: The Alcornocales (cork-oak forests) Natural Park. Christmas Eve celebratory dinner in our hotel.
SUNDAY: Transfer to Málaga.
New Year Natural Parks Cádiz / Mar y Sierra: West Andalusia / walking from Jubrique
Almería: Tabernas & Cabo de Gata / Huelva / Segura-Júcar-Mundo / nature rambles
Mar y Sierra: Cantabria / Escapade in Cantabria / The land of lakes and storks / Costa Verde
walking: central Spain / northern Spain / Madrid-Segovia / Soria / Ruta del Oro / festivals
Extremadura: Trujillo / Zafra / Ciudad Rodrigo-Arribes Duero / discovery weeks / historical journeys
for families or friends / Holiday index+calendar / Introduction in English / How to book / e-mail us