Nature Rambles - Serranía de Ronda
Nature holiday - small international group - West Andalusia
Springtime in the Serranía de Ronda is marvellous! Millions of flowers from over a thousand plant species, with endemics including Abies pinsapo the Ronda fir and many others. Raptors sail lazily overhead. As well as the flora and fauna, you will enjoy the beauty and variety of the landscapes: the curious karst formations, the peridotite 'rockeries', the wooded vales and the superb Atlantic coast.
ONE WEEK Activities: 5 rambles of 3-5 hours on foot with visits of natural and historical interest; a day excursion to the Atlantic coast (not in Holy Week). Rambles on (sometimes steep) footpaths, a few 'off path' sections. Group 10 maximum. The activities may vary slightly according to the season, weather conditions, etc.
FULL BOARD seven nights in rooms for 2 at the hotel of Jubrique (rooms with bathroom).
PRICE 695 euros per person; single room supplement 135 euros.
OPTIONS: 8H individual Spanish course; supplement 95 euros. Reserve on booking.
2018 25 March-1 April*, 22-29 April.
*Holy Week: the Pasos in Ronda, where the statues of Christ and the richly-dressed Virgin float above the crowd on flower- and candle-bedecked plinths carried by dozens of brotherhood stalwarts, followed by a procession of hooded penitents. Open air Passion Play at Igualeja. At Jubrique: "El Encuentro", featuring an articulated Virgin, and the "Execution of Judas".
ON THE PROGRAMME:
- Excursion to the Atlantique coast (not Holy Week): storks, migrating birds, umbrella pines, relic 'Laurisilva'; the Roman fishing port of Baelo Claudia.
- The Riscos de Cartajima: strangely eroded limestone formations. Afternoon in Ronda, with our special topo-guide.
- Exploration of the Genal and Monarda valleys: Mediterranean forest, carnivorous plants, cork-oaks... perhaps the chance to see terrapins?
- Llano de Líbar: a fertile high plain (polje) surrounded by limestone summits, with a rich birdlife and vegetation including paeonies, geraniums, saxifrages, holm and Portuguese oaks.
- The unique 'rockeries' of peridotite of the Sierra Bermeja.
RENDEZVOUS Málaga, in the afternoon - choose a flight arriving before 15.30.
DISPERSAL Málaga, in the morning - choose a flight departing after 12.30.
Location of this programme:
walking from Jubrique
Mar y Sierra: West Andalusia / Baeza-Cazorla-Segura / Moorish Kingdom of Granada / Jaén
Caliphs of Cordoba / Al-Andalus (patios) / Xmas 2018 at Cordoba / New Year 18-19 at Trujillo
walking: central Spain / northern Spain / discovery weeks / festivals / historical journeys
for families or friends / Holiday index+calendar / Introduction in English / How to book / e-mail us
For holidays of Nature interest in other parts of Spain, see:
Rioja Alta & Sierra Cebollera / Natural Parks of Old Castile / Albarracín-Cuenca-Teruel
Mar y Sierra: Asturias / Mar y Sierra: Cantabria / Sierras of Extremadura / Escapade in Cantabria
'Discovery weeks' with short walks:
Candás-Costa Verde / Liérganes and Santander / Ciudad Rodrigo-Arribes del Duero / Ruta del Oro
Extremaduran Kaleidoscope / Almagro-La Mancha / Berlanga-Soria